And Now For A Little Something Completely Different: Genre and Figurative Works at Auction

*
The European auction season is just barely starting to pick up again and I thought I would treat you to some figurative, landscape, and genre scene gems I have come across. Some are just studies but most are competently finished works. If you have been following this blog for any length of time, then you know I am a sucker for fancy brushwork, comprehensive and accomplished use of color in paint application, and pure old fashioned competent, detailed draftsmanship. Well I think the below listed 19th century works at auction would qualify for some of these characteristics. I will readily admit I have always struggled with color and when I see a master hand at work I can just sit there for hours putting all the color pieces together, marveling at how just a dash and a swipe here and there can transcend mere paint on canvas into something alive. I might even "appropriate" a color palette for myself if I run across one I like. And, hang in there, I have some beautiful watercolors I want to throw at you next. Enjoy....
---------------------------------------

Peter Strahn ... Shepherd


Peter Strahn - Boy with Two Goats




Kunz Meyer-Walde - Untitled


Late 19th century oil on board, Portrait of a Nun



Hermann Angermeyer-Harburg (1876-1955) In The Studio



Otto Heinrich (1891-1967) Lastkahn unter Brucke



H Rogner (?) Knight on Horseback




Godard (?) Untitled Study



Georg Frederich Berlin (1868-1943) Portrait of a Boy




Eugen Felix Prosper Bracht-Morges (1842-1921) Italian Landscape





Unknown Artist, Young Woman, ca. 1900



Albert Sorkau (1874-1956)Miniature Symbolist Study for Apollon and Psychee
You have read this article with the title And Now For A Little Something Completely Different: Genre and Figurative Works at Auction. You can bookmark this page URL http://kynsismi.blogspot.com/2012/01/and-now-for-little-something-completely.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...