Academic Nudes from the Archives of Tajan Auction House, France

*
Emmanuel Michel Benner (1873-1965) Female Study
-----------------------------------------------




I spent most of yesterday and this morning going through thousands of archived lots from the French auction house Tajan, looking for those gems of academic nudes that I thought you would enjoy. The auction house has a funky way of listing their auctions and after wading through their "Modern and Contemporary" auctions and almost tossing my cookies (I thought I would have to call my local suicide hot line after all that garbage that poses as "art" and have them talk be down from the roof) so I stuck to the 19th century and earlier auctions of the "Old Masters." Most of the posts I have for you will be from the 18th century and beyond, with a few nice 19th century examples. I saved literally 175 files so this will take some time to cull through and post, so bear with me. I thought I would pick out what I thought were some really fine examples of purely academic works and post those first to keep them from getting lost in the crowd. Enjoy (My thanks to Tajan for the illustrations and attributions)
-----------------------------------------------

Antonin Mercie (1845-1916) La Vierge Noire





Jules Girardet (1856-1946) Pan





Michel Martin Drolling (Attrib.)(1786-1851) Standing Male Nude






Pierre-Narcisse Guerin (attrib.)(1774-1833) Academie d'Homme





18th Century French School, Circle of Jean-Baptiste Marie Pierre (1713-1789)





18th Century Italian school, Neoclassical Study






Emmanuel Michel Benner (1873-1965) Nu Feminin 1892






Francois Joseph Deutsch (1784-1860) Academie d'homme en pied tirant a l'arc





Georges Antonie Rochegrosse (1859-1938) La Glorie de Sportif





Jean-Jacques Karpff (1770-1829) Standing Male Nude





Julius Gari Melchers (1860-1932) Bathers





Paul-Desire Trouillebert (1829-1900) Academie






Garcon Nu allonge sur une nappe imprimee - 1908 (This is an Egon Schiele work - not sure how it go into the stack of auction finds but will leave it)





Mariano Fortuny y Marsal (1838-1874) Etude pour le joueur de flute
You have read this article with the title Academic Nudes from the Archives of Tajan Auction House, France. You can bookmark this page URL http://kynsismi.blogspot.com/2012/01/academic-nudes-from-archives-of-tajan.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...