August Kugler (Active 1890-1910): Nude Ephebe

*
A seller on eBay Austria recently offered two academic nudes by Austrian artist August Kugler (Active 1890-1910). I managed to buy the drawing of the nude ephebe (directly below). It was a real toss up as to which drawing to put my financial weight behind. I chose the ephebe, realizing that the market would eventually return my investment in that drawing. Unfortunately, I could not afford both drawings, suspecting there was a lurker out there with slightly deeper pockets than mine. I was correct in my assessment. His low bid took the other drawing and my much higher bid took the drawing below. I was not able to find much biographic information on the artist other than the fact he was active during the late 19th and very early 20th centuries. I did find two paintings of his mature works which have sold at auction that I have also listed below.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here (below General Custer's photograph) is the second auction offering from the seller on eBay Austria.(Now tell me this model doesn't look like a very naked General George Armstrong Custer ..... folklore says we all have a double out there somewhere.....) :
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


 
General George Armstrong Custer (1863)    (Library of Congress)





---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found two examples of his mature works on the web:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------


You have read this article with the title August Kugler (Active 1890-1910): Nude Ephebe. You can bookmark this page URL http://kynsismi.blogspot.com/2012/05/august-kugler-active-1890-1910-nude.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...