Academic Nudes by Alexis Bafcop (1804-1895)








Yesterday (April 5, 2010) I packed up the Male Nude Academic painting by Raoul du Gardier and shipped it off to the Conservation Laboratory for what I hope is its complete cleaning and repair (provided it doesn't put a giant hole in my budget). This beautifully executed male nude deserves a new life and I look forward to posting photographs of it when it returns. I have only had it in my possession for a few days but those few days have been very enjoyable. If you would like to see the website and the conservation work of a master craftswoman please visit:




I was very fortunate in finding Alexandra's website through the Fine Arts Conservancy website. She is highly knowledgeable and comes with a world of experience in the conservation of Fine Art. If I can afford a full restoration, I am sure she will post the progress on her website for you to see, if not, then I will post them here when I receive them. I am excited about having the work in such capable and experienced hands.



I also wanted to post photographs of the three new Academic Nude drawings on paper I recently received from France and Germany. The first two drawings are by Alexis Bafcop (1804 - 1895). Bafcop exhibited at the Paris Salon from 1831 to 1840. His works are displayed in several National Museums in France. The first drawing is signed and dated "Paris 18 December 1841." The other drawing us unsigned but by the same artist and is most probably from the same time period.



The third illustration on the next post is by Maximilian Spilhaczek (1876 - 1961) and is from the early 1920's. I do not usually bother with Academic Studies from the 20th Century simply because, in my humble opinion, the Acadame System of rigorous training had just about collapsed with the invention of Modernism and the Gallery system, and nothing coming out of Art Schools during this time could compare technically to what preceded it, but alas here is a notable exception. When I saw this drawing illustrated on the website, I was drawn to the expert hand that created it. Spilhaczek is a well known Austrian Artist who studied at the Vienna Academy under professors Griepenterl, Rumpler, and Lichtenfels. He exhibited regularly at the Vienna "Kunstlerhaus", the largest exhibition hall of the time. The near photographic technical nature of the work captured my attention and I had to have it for my collection.



In the coming weeks I would like to begin a journey with you through my collection and try to share with you my passion for the 19th Century Academic Nude.
You have read this article with the title Academic Nudes by Alexis Bafcop (1804-1895). You can bookmark this page URL http://kynsismi.blogspot.com/2010/04/academic-nudes-by-alexis-bafcop-1804.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...